From America OnLine:

I'm trying to find out more info about insulin pumps. I have a 9 year old Type 1 has been for 4 years and I never feel that he is in good control, and believe me, it's not from lack of trying. Now I am at my wit's end, because his last A1C was too high for me and I just feel something needs to be done. Just looking for more information on kids on the pump. Yes, I am trying to work with his doctor on the matter. Very slow process.

Your son is likely to be considered too young to try an insulin pump. In any case, whilst pumps can afford excellent control, they are not a device for achieving control in someone who is having problems, and in most centers it is necessary to establish good control on some form of intensive insulin therapy before starting on a pump.

Without knowing the A1c level or anything about blood sugar patterns it is difficult to give specific advice. I think you need to review all aspects of your son's care with his diabetic team. With the physician you might discuss whether he is missing insulin shots and whether there is a case for changing from Regular to the more precisely acting Lispro insulin [Humalog@reg; brand] and whether better control might be achieved by more than two injections a day. The nutritionist needs to evaluate meal and snack issues, and the nurse needs to review injection and blood sugar technology. Very importantly, someone, perhaps the medical social worker, needs to assess whether there are additional stresses at school or at home perhaps that are contributing to this poor control. After this kind of a thorough evaluation it should be possible to make a plan for better control; but it may not be easy.