Question:

From Kent, England:

My 4 1/2 year old son was diagnosed Type 1 six months ago and is now under good control with minimal insulin (3 units A.M. and 1 unit P.M.). The only problem is that he flatly refuses to use the toilet and wets and dirties himself. He also refuses to feed himself. We also have a six month old baby. Are his refusals likely to be purely jealousy of his baby brother or could they be diabetes related in any way? As you can imagine, we are becoming pretty well fed up with the situation at present and would welcome any helpful advice you can offer!

Answer:

Although both the diagnosis of diabetes and the birth of a sibling can trigger emotional reactions in a four year old, it sounds as though your son may be having more trouble than usual. I suggest you consider consultation with a child psychiatrist.