Question:

From Rockville Centre, New York, USA:

I am a 30 year old Type 1 diabetic for 2 months. I am in remission now. My doctor wants me to start taking oral insulin capsules to prolong the remission period. In studies this method was very successful. It helped to alter the balance between harmful and helpful antibodies in the immune system. I need to know how I can obtain oral insulin as it is only used in research right now. I called Eli Lilly and they didn't know about it. Thank you for your help.

Answer:

As far as I know, the only studies using oral insulin are to prevent diabetes in susceptible individuals. I am not aware yet of any ongoing studies using it to prolong remission. I would ask your own physician for more information. I would be interested if he/she knows of any ongoing study to use oral insulin in the remission period.