Question:

From Wichita Falls, Texas, USA:

I have a 5 year old daughter who, for the past couple of years, has had granulomas. They clear up with a steroid medication, but then come right back. She also vomits a lot. Do any of these symptoms go with being diabetic? Her granny is insulin dependent and her dad's family is also diabetic. Could she possible be diabetic? Also, when she was about 3, a blood test showed that she might be diabetic but when the test was redone the results were normal.

Answer:

No matter how strong your family history, the statistics are in your favour. Vomiting and granulomas are not symptoms of diabetes per se. Obviously, you need an explanation for your daughter's vomiting and you should seek paediatric advice. It is a very simple matter to check her urine and blood for sugar to exclude diabetes.

I assume that the steroids you mention are injected into the skin lesions rather than taken orally because the latter are sometimes the cause of sugar in the urine.