From America OnLine:

My son was just recently diagnosed as Type 1 diabetes. He is 17 years old and there is no previous family history of diabetes in either of our family trees. During our regular checkup to the endocrinologist he went back on my son's charts and discovered that his thyroid was sluggish. The way he reacted it had appeared that this was the first time he had looked at his chart since he was in the hospital. Shouldn't this have been discovered sooner? How much does the thyroid play into his diabetes, and could there possibly be a chance of the thyroid being misdiagnosed as diabetes? Should we get a second opinion?

Hypothyroidism and insulin dependent diabetes are related because they are both the same kind of disease, i.e., autoimmune. It is relatively unusual for them to present at the same time. No harm will have been done by the diagnosis of hypothyroidism being slightly delayed and the symptoms and signs of hypothyroidism could not be mistaken for diabetes.

[Editor's comment: A listing of Thyroid Information on the Internet is available for the interested reader. Also, we have answered other questions about thyroid disorders previously. WWQ]