From West Lafayette, Indiana, USA:

My son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes on December 23rd of last year at age 3 1/2. My wife was pregnant with our son while we lived in Houston. During our time there we often had to fumigate our apartment for fleas. Could exposure to such pesticides cause diabetes? Also, have there ever been Type 1 diabetes cases that have had indefinite honeymoon periods? Last, My wife is concerned that burping an infant may damage the pancreas if it is done too hard (we have a 10 month old daughter). Could this be a factor? These questions may be a bit odd but my wife is bothered by them.

There was a report many years ago of the development of diabetes secondary to the ingestion of the rodenticide Vacor. I am not aware of normal fumigating being associated with the development of diabetes.

The honeymoon phase can last for several years. Very often parents think the diabetes has gone away, but invariably the pancreas fails again and the honeymoon wears off.

Normal burping of an infant causes no damage to the pancreas. It is common for parents to try to protect their children from developing diabetes, but it is important to treat both your children--the child with diabetes and his non-diabetic sister--as normally as possible.