From Indiana, USA:

My 26 year old brother was recently diagnosed with Type 1; a bit of research found it on both sides of my family. Besides wanting to know how much of a role heredity plays, I have a lot of other questions that can be answered with other kinds of research. However, my brother lives in the Virgin Islands, where he doesn't have a good library, Internet access, or even an expert physician. He has asked me to find him a very basic food conversion list. I know next to nothing about this disease. Where do I look to find him a chart?

The hereditary component of Type 1 Diabetes is vested in what are called HLA types, a segment of the chromosome that designates the shape of certain proteins on the surface of the cell. There are many different HLA types and they confer different degrees of susceptibility to Diabetes Type 1 and one is actually protective. The autoimmune process is induced when a group of white blood cells mistakenly recognise a target cell as non-self when in fact it is self. How this all comes about is a little too complicated for e-mail!

You should send your brother a copy of Bowes and Church's Food Values of Portions Commonly Used 16th edition, published by Lipincott. Any large bookseller should either have it or be able easily to get it for you. Send him a cheap solar calculator too, and if you can persuade him to visit you, see if you cant arrange for him to go through the educational program with a good diabetes team. To do it even once would be a great help to him and if it could be repeated annually that would be even better.

[Editor's comment: And, of course, you can print out any page from the Internet, and send the information to your brother. WWQ]

[Editor's comment: You can order Food Values of Portions Commonly Used, 15th ed. by Jean Pennington from JSH]