Question:

From Canada:

I'm 14 with Type 1 diabetes. Whenever I give an injection, I get a bruise so I was wondering how I can prevent this from happening. My legs, arms and stomach are pretty sore. I rotate sites evenly so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Answer:

Some people find they get bruises at certain injection sites no matter what they do. This is usually an annoying cosmetic problem, but not a problem medically.

A few suggestions to try:

1. Don't inject the insulin cold. Let it warm up for 15-20 minutes at room temperature before drawing up the insulin if you keep your insulin in the refrigerator.

2. Try the new short, 30 gauge B-D syringes if you take 50 units or less insulin in one injection.

3. Make sure to let go of the "pinch" before pressing the plunger.

4. Hold the skin down with your finger or the alcohol wipe as you remove the syringe after injecting.

5. If you haven't tried all possible injection sites, try a new site.

6. Give injections in buttocks where a bruise will not be visible.