Question:

From Arizona, USA:

Several weeks, or perhaps months, ago, my 9-year-old son began infrequently wetting the bed at night. The frequency increased, and he began to complain of having to urinate 4 or 5 times during the school day. I dragged him away from a basketball game to take him to the doctor, who almost immediately diagnosed Diabetes Type 1 and hospitalized him for several days. His blood glucose was 498 when he went to the hospital, but he wasn't dehydrated and had no ketones in his urine. Now, we keep pretty good control with 10 units of N and 3 units of R at 7:30 a.m., and 4N,3R at 7:30 p.m. The problem is still the bedwetting. This sometimes occurs a couple of times a week, which is a decrease. Is this still related to the diabetes?

My husband and I are willing to be patient -- we certainly don't want to give him some medication to prevent bed wetting which would interfere with the treatment of his diabetes. We're just concerned, mainly because we still have so much to learn about this condition. Usually, his blood test reads around 90 at bedtime before he eats some cereal, and is around 100 in the morning when he wakes. Should we just relax about this or is there something else we should do?

Answer:

Your son has been through a lot in the last few weeks. Bedwetting (unrelated to diabetes) is common but it is a symptom of diabetes caused by the production of much more urine than normal. It can also be an emotional response to any traumatic event in a child's life, and being diagnosed diabetic is certainly a stressful event. I would agree with you that you should just be patient for a month or two and the problem will probably resolve itself. High sugars overnight would certainly tend to exacerbate any tendency to wet.