Question:

From Utah, USA:

Our 2-year old daughter was diagnosed with diabetes, Type 1, just a few weeks ago. Now she is entering a honeymoon stage of diabetes. I read that there is a chance to prolong this stage using BCG vaccine. But it is not in use in USA anymore and we can not find a proper place to receive a shot. We are originally from Russia, where everybody still getting BCG; we are not afraid of it and willing to take a chance. But where can we get this shot?

Answer:

I am afraid that the evidence regarding BCG vaccination prolonging the honeymoon period in humans (as opposed to diabetic mice and rats) is not good and I would not recommend that you go to any extraordinary lengths to get your daughter immunised.

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.