From Oklahoma, USA:

A diabetic renal patient of ours has a grandson recently diagnosed with diabetes insipidus. She did not give me an age; I believe he is under 10.

Diabetes insipidus (DI) is an entirely different disorder from diabetes mellitus. (Rarely, the two disorders might coexist, in an unusual syndrome called DIDMOAD.)

There are two versions of DI, one due to a kidney problem with inability to limit water loss (called Nephrogenic DI), and a second version of DI due to pituitary gland inability to make the Antidiuretic Hormone (ADH) that controls water loss through the kidneys. As you might guess, both versions of DI have problems with excessive urination when first diagnosed, or if poorly uncontrolled, but neither version has urine sugar or blood sugar problems as Diabetes Mellitus does.

You can review the definition of DI, or look at an earlier question or contact the Nephrogenic Diabetes Insipidus Network for more information about DI.