Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from Apr 1997

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | Jan 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. I am a 37 year old woman with IDDM; I was diagnosed at age 11. My question is about pregnancy. I have only been able to get pregnant once and miscarried at 3 months. I would like to try again and have heard there is a risk inventory one can take to assess how well one might do in a pregnancy. Where might I get a copy of the test? (28 Apr 97)

2. What is the proper way to store insulin? And what is the shelf life? (28 Apr 97)

3. My daughter is 12 and was diagnosed about 6 months ago. Last week she would go to school in the morning but around 9:30 she would call and complain that she was very hot and lethargic. Her blood sugars had been high around 300. Do thyroid problems often cause these symptoms of being hot? (28 Apr 97)

4. At the advice of my orthopedic doctor I have been taking Glucosamine Sulfate for the last month. During that time I have noticed that my blood sugars have been considerably lower than normal, which is great. Has there been any research on this? (28 Apr 97)

5. What chromosome causes Type 1 diabetes, X or Y? And the dominant or recessive allele? (28 Apr 97)

6. I have a 3 year old daughter who has been diagnosed as diabetic. Can this be diagnosed at this age? If so, what are the possibilities of recovery? A few doctors here have said it is impossible to diagnose at this age and others have us giving insulin 2 times a day. Please help. (28 Apr 97)

7. What is the percentage of children in ketoacidosis at the time of diagnosis? (28 Apr 97)

8. I have an 11 year old son with diabetes. Lately, when he has low blood sugars, he refuses to eat, and says he is not hungry. I have to go through a litany of foods to stimulate his interest. Of course, candy always works, but frequently we end up with a high blood sugar after this. Any suggestions? (27 Apr 97)

9. I am a 36 year old with diabetes I take insulin and pills. I have been diabetic for 12 years. I don't seem to be able to get myself to take care of myself. I do good for a day then I blow it. Are there other people out there like me? Or am I the only one? (27 Apr 97)

10. My daughter is Type 1, age 15, diabetic for the past three years. It seems like her body is no longer absorbing the insulin. We have continued to up her insulin and monitor her blood sugars as well as her diet. We can't understand this as she has been very good since her diagnosis. (27 Apr 97)

11. My 10 year old son has been diabetic since he was 5 and has been seeing a pediatrician. He seems to have fairly good control and can give his own injections. Should we be taking him to a specialist? We are in a small town and the closest one would be 45 miles away. (27 Apr 97)

12. In a response on March 9, 1996, the diabetes team answered a question about the use of chromium and vanadium in diabetes treatment which said "chromium and vanadium are not thought to be harmful." However, I found an article that addresses various negative effects from toxicity of vanadium. (27 Apr 97)

13. Our daughter, age 8, diagnosed one year ago with IDDM, is now on 3 shots per day. Morning and lunch levels are good. Our problem is that she is almost always high at dinner. If we raise the morning NPH to 11 units, she has lows at school in the morning, even after snacktime. (27 Apr 97)

14. Can diabetes be a contributing factor for periodontal disease and bone loss? (27 Apr 97)

15. I am the mother of a seven-year-old boy who was diagnosed with hyperinsulinism shortly after birth. Recent blood tests have revealed that my son is also hyperammonemic. In addition, alpha-keto-glutarate has been found in his urine. If you have a possible explanation for his condition, I would very much like to hear from you. (26 Apr 97)

16. My 6 year old daughter almost died at age 11 months from hypoglycemia after catching the stomach flu. All of the blood work indicated a metabolic disorder. Now she is 5 years older and her symptoms include hypoglycemia when fasting, enlarged liver, slightly elevated lactate and very low pyruvate. (26 Apr 97)

17. I am a 31 year old male diagnosed with Type 1 approximately 8 months ago. I recently started counting carbs and using the new Humalog along with Ultralente. My question is how can my blood sugar levels be normal before bedtime and wake up to highs above 220? (26 Apr 97)

18. My daughter had severe pain in the lower right hand side and had to have a shot of Demerol. She was tested and there was blood in her urine. They said there was protein in the urine and that her blood sugar level was 3.5 [63 mg/dl]. My father has diabetes; is it possible for her to have it? (26 Apr 97)

19. My son (age 20) has Type 1 Diabetes. He was diagnosed at the age of 9. He wants to lose what he calls his love handles around his mid section. Nothing seems to work. It is really bothering him and I thought maybe your team would have an idea for perhaps a diet change, or a particular exercise he could try. (21 Apr 97)

20. My 7 1/2 year old daughter has Type 1 Diabetes. What can I expect from our Diabetes Team, as far as answers to my questions, responses? How long should it take for them and myself to get my daughters blood sugar down to normal? I wonder if I should be trusting these people with my child's life. (20 Apr 97)

21. My father, mother, and 2 younger brothers are insulin dependent diabetics. I am not diabetic nor is my husband. We want to start a family. What are the chances of me having a healthy pregnancy and healthy children? Will our children definitely or more likely than not be diabetic? (20 Apr 97)

22. Our teenage son was just switched to the new Lilly lispro and NPH by Lilly. The idea was to bring the numbers more into line with the target range. The numbers are getting better but he had his first low at night after a snack of cheese and crackers before bedtime. (20 Apr 97)

23. I am a 19 year old insulin diabetic who is having great difficultly regulating my blood sugars. I was diagnosed when I was 11. I have had problems ever since I have started high school. I was wondering if there were any support groups to contact via e-mail. (20 Apr 97)

24. I have a 21 year old daughter in the last trimester of her first pregnancy. Before she became pregnant, her physician indicated that her blood sugar was high. Her ob/gyn is now concerned and ordered a three hour test. (20 Apr 97)

25. Recently on the news I saw a new device in the treatment of diabetes - an inhalant for insulin. My son, now thirteen, has been IDDM for a year. Although he gives himself insulin shots, he would be ecstatic if an inhalant system would work for him. What can you tell me about this device? (20 Apr 97)

26. As an immigrant from India, my vegetarian diet uses rice as a main ingredient. Is there a concern associated with the use of rice regularly in one's diet? Is wheat better than rice? (20 Apr 97)

27. My 8 month old adopted daughter was just diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Her hospital stay was quite traumatic and now that she's home she's doing better but I wonder if it makes sense to designate a special place in the house to do her pricks and injections. (20 Apr 97)

28. Out of our three children, two have been diagnosed as MODY (Mature Onset Diabetes in Youth). I have never heard of this and we have never come across anyone else with it. (18 Apr 97)

29. I have been told by several "non-professionals" that many serious complications from diabetes are actually caused by the use of insulin. Is this true? (18 Apr 97)

30. I am 10 years old. I have Type 1 diabetes. I have been diabetic for 6 years. I have looked in many books for science projects about diabetes, but I haven't found any. Can you please suggest a book? (18 Apr 97)

31. My mother developed insulin dependent diabetes at age 40. I am 30 years old, and I did not have diabetes, but developed gestational diabetes during my pregnancy. During the last 3 months of pregnancy I became insulin dependent in order to control it. Why did this happen? (18 Apr 97)

32. Recently on the news I heard about a pill that will replace injections for Type 1 diabetics. Is this true? Please advise. I have two diabetic sons. (18 Apr 97)

33. My cousin says she has heard that diabetic marathon runners often "charge" themselves with extra carbohydrates for a few days prior to running. If so, what does it entail, and would it help her two daughters who are Type 1? (18 Apr 97)

34. I've been taking little to minimal insulin amounts so I do not have to eat that much. My blood sugars are not high at all. They are actually in perfect range for me (90 to 159). I have had diabetes for over 14 years now, but for the past 3 years I have been obsessed with weight. (17 Apr 97)

35. My son does not wake up during the night when his blood sugar is low. Consequently, we test him every night at 2 A.M. and again at 6 A.M. If we do not catch the low in time, he wakes up paralyzed on one side. I am afraid of permanent damage if it happens again. (17 Apr 97)

36. My 4-year-old nephew has been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes for one year. Now he has also been diagnosed with a sensory hearing loss. I have heard that the hearing loss can be related with the diabetes. Is this true? (17 Apr 97)

37. I am 36. I have had the symptoms of diabetes for three months. I have received conflicting opinions from doctors of whether I am Type 1 or 2. I have frequent urination; occasional numbness. A fasting blood test came in at 224. Are these symptoms and my level indicative of Type 1 or 2? (17 Apr 97)

38. Has a link been established between juvenile diabetes and impaired cognitive functioning? (17 Apr 97)

39. I have been a user of the Novolin pen since about 1985. I am totally blind and count clicks. Recently I took advantage of the new Novopen 1.5 offer and was initially pleased with the metal pen's feel and operation. That was until I found that the pen will not necessarily inject the dosage dialed in. (17 Apr 97)

40. My mother-in-law died about 6 months ago from diabetes. She was extremely overweight and did not follow the diet restrictions she was supposed to. Last week my 18 year old sister-in-law was diagnosed with diabetes. I'm afraid that she will view her diagnosis as a death sentence. (17 Apr 97)

41. My 4 year old grandson was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes about two weeks ago. About one week ago he started being very hyper and difficult to control. Could these actions have anything to do with the insulin? (17 Apr 97)

42. I am 30 years old and have had Type 1 diabetes for 15 years. My question concerns an unusual series of hypoglycemic reactions about 5 years ago at the age of 25. These episodes were frightening, with memory loss & changes in consciousness. (17 Apr 97)

43. My daughter is 9 years old and her albumin levels are high. What are the causes of this problem and what should we do about it? (17 Apr 97)

44. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes about 15 months ago. For at least the last 6 weeks, I have noticed that my hands, nose and feet are cold and this is really bothering me. I have informed my physician but he does not seem too concerned. (17 Apr 97)

45. I was distressed to learn in the New York Times this past weekend that people with diabetes aren't considered well enough for heart transplants. In these days of managed care, what other forms of discrimination is my son likely to encounter? (17 Apr 97)

46. My son has been a diabetic for the past 3 years. His levels are constantly changing but remain for the most part in the upper 200's then crashing to the lower 60's. With all the exercise and proper dieting he does, what should be considered a normal level? (14 Apr 97)

47. I got diabetes around a year ago. My mom's friend got me started on Yogic pancreatic exercises and sprouted fenugreek seeds. Around 6 months ago, I stopped taking insulin. I have not needed it ever since. My endocrinologist thinks I'm still honeymooning but my alternative doctor says otherwise. What do you think? (14 Apr 97)

48. Our son is a patient at a major university pediatric endocrine clinic. We recently received a letter from them stating that beginning 4/1/97 they would start charging for phone call advice. We are wondering if any of you have heard of such a practice. (14 Apr 97)

49. My wife (35) has been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes for the past 3 years. She also has mitral valve prolapse [a heart condition] which is not causing any difficulty or symptoms at this stage. Would a pregnancy be desirable given the aforementioned? (14 Apr 97)

50. For a few years I have had a sudden shortness of breath and have had a need for sugar at the time, when playing sports. The worst case was when I almost fainted and felt cold. Is this hypoglycemia? Should I have blood work done? I'm 23. (13 Apr 97)

51. I was diagnosed Type 1 10 months ago at age 44. I had testing done at University of Florida and was confirmed with strong antibodies. I read one of your responses that said Type 1 at my age is extremely unusual. Just how unusual is it? (13 Apr 97)

52. I have a 4 year old son who is diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. He continues to fight his insulin injections. We are looking into needleless syringes. What is your experience with using these needleless syringes on children? Are there a lot of families using this product instead of needles? (13 Apr 97)

53. My son is a very picky eater. He has wildly-fluctuating blood glucose levels. I need advice. He was diagnosed a month ago. (13 Apr 97)

54. I am a 26 year old male, diagnosed at the age of three, and have been taking injections ever since. I am on a two injection schedule, one when I get up, the second I take approximately 7 to 8 hours later. Recently I have gotten some information regarding the Novopen 1.5 and I am curious as to what it might be like to use it. (13 Apr 97)

55. In the past week or so my daughter has had more frequent lows in the afternoon, after school. I have reduced her A.M. NPH some and also increased her afternoon snack just a little. She is still having a few lows. Here's my question: for a growth spurt, are we more likely to see a period of low blood sugars or high blood sugars? (13 Apr 97)

56. My son is 23 and has had diabetes for 11 years. He got sick with a virus and went into ketoacidosis with a blood sugar of 600. He is presently in the hospital, has stabilized with blood glucose at normal levels, but has a short term memory loss for anything that has happened in the last week. Is this a common effect of acidosis? (10 Apr 97)

57. My friend has Type 2 diabetes as he is obese. He is 18 year old. But he is on medication for 2 months with good results. But he is due for a full medical check tomorrow. Can they detect he's diabetic as he is not listed in the hospital record as having diabetes? (10 Apr 97)

58. I am 24 years old, and I am in my last trimester of pregnancy and just recently took the 1 hour glucose test. My reading was 149. The doctor wants me to take the 3 hour test just to be safe. Could my eating starchy foods have affected the readings on this test, and also is 149 really a high reading? (10 Apr 97)

59. Could cloning play a role in the cure for diabetes, i.e., cloning pancreas or beta cells? (10 Apr 97)

60. I am 16 and have been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes since I was 7. Around when I was 12 or so, I started to skip meals in order to lose weight. I also discovered that skipping your insulin shots also make you lose weight. I can't get back into healthy eating habits and am sick of being sick. Can you help? (10 Apr 97)

61. I am 29 years old and have Type 1 Diabetes. I was diagnosed about 8 years ago. My husband and I are planning to have a family and I have a few concerns. (10 Apr 97, updated 14 Apr 97)

62. I am a 49 year old male. I got diabetes about 12 years ago. Up until this winter I have managed to control my blood sugar with diet and hard daily exercise. My question concerns competing in long distance cycle races. My doctor is a very competent but when it comes to sports and training he is not interested. (10 Apr 97)

63. My 10 year old niece has Type 1 diabetes for 8 months. All efforts to make her to give her own shots had been unsuccessful. Her parents are desperate to have access to the insulin pump. They all live in Colombia, South America. May I buy the pump without having to bring her to this country? (10 Apr 97)

64. I am 52 years old with Type 2 diabetes for 8 years. I compete in Power-Lifting. My question is, why does my blood glucose levels go through the ceiling after a hard weight workout? (10 Apr 97)

65. Could you explain to me the A1C? (10 Apr 97)

66. My 5 year old daughter was diagnosed over 2 years ago. Last week I was shown an article from a national newspaper regarding the 'once a year injection' using a number of insulin producing ceramic beads which are 0.6mm in diameter. Glucose & insulin pass freely through the ceramic shell. (10 Apr 97)

67. My 12 year old daughter was diagnosed last week with IDDM. Her mother tells me that the "honeymoon" period will make it dangerous for her to travel from Mississippi to Guam this summer for visitation. The trip is very long, and I don't want to risk her health. Is this accurate? (10 Apr 97)

68. I have been a diabetic for 9 years now. After my last visit, my doctor said he'd like to put me on a test study of Humalog in my country. I'd like to know which basic differences my using of Humalog would cause in my treatment. (10 Apr 97)

69. I am a 28 year old male who had been diagnosed approximately a month ago with Type 1 diabetes. I am a police officer and wondering if stress affects diabetes, long term or short term? I've been hearing a lot about Humalog. Would this be a better insulin if I am rushed at times when I am eating? (10 Apr 97)

70. I am 36 years old and have been diagnosed as a "brittle" diabetic. I have recently switched to Humalog (Lispro) and have found an improvement. (6 Apr 97)

71. My father was diagnosed with adult onset diabetes about a year and a half ago. The doctors said he had it for 10 years undiagnosed. He has a lot of complications that his doctor is having problems controlling or helping. I want to know where I can get information on diabetes complications. (6 Apr 97)

72. My daughter, who will be 16 next week and has had Type 1 diabetes since she was 9, wants to learn to scuba dive so that she can dive with me. Are there any known physiological problems that would or should prevent her from doing so? (6 Apr 97)

73. We cannot get our 7 year old daughter's midmorning glucose down past about 220. We have been struggling with this for about 8 weeks. We have increased her A.M. Humalog considerably, but still get high 2 hour postprandial values in the mid-morning. (6 Apr 97)

74. I would like to compare the HbA1c outcomes for our children with the levels documented in the "intensive treatment" and "conventional treatment" groups for the adolescents studied in the DCCT. I have not seen an article that contains the demographic or outcome information for just the children in the DCCT study. (4 Apr 97, updated 13 Apr 97)

75. Our now 5 year old son was diagnosed at the early age of six months with nesidioblastosis. He went from the early age of 2 months to 6 months undiagnosed. Doctors just couldn't find the reasons for his seizures. Are there many cases out there like our sons? Does this type of hypoglycemia lead to diabetes? (4 Apr 97)

76. Last week, I heard the tail end of a news report about diabetes. The report mentioned a study that had been done on Type 1 mice who received insulin through a capsule and the capsule was able to survive the digestion process and eliminate the need for shots. (4 Apr 97)

77. I want to know about the Dawn Phenomenon, its diagnosis and treatment. (3 Apr 97)

78. We have a 14 year old son that has had diabetes 7.5 years. His endocrinologist expressed concern that he isn't showing signs of physical maturity. He will be having some tests for hormones and has had X-rays of his hands to check his growth. How is diabetes management related to growth and maturity in teens? (3 Apr 97)

79. Is there any connection between the Epstein-Barr virus and diabetes in children? (3 Apr 97)

80. I received a kidney/pancreas transplant 5 years ago and am doing fine. I was asked to give a speech for a teen diabetic support group at the local hospital on why you should take care of yourself when you're a diabetic. I would like to find out what I should tell these teens and what they should know. (2 Apr 97)

81. I didn't understand the comments you made in the answer to the 9 year old whose parents wanted to mix R and L. We also have the problem of high mid-morning sugars. It seems logical to me to replace some of the morning R with L. What would be wrong with mixing R and L in the same shot? (2 Apr 97)

82. My husband is 42 and has had Type 1 diabetes for 37 years. Recently, he changed to Humalog. His sugar levels have been out of control even though he followed the doctor's orders precisely. (2 Apr 97)

83. I have a ten year old son who was diagnosed two years ago. Up until now he has done well with doing his own shots, but lately he has become hesitant about it. I don't want to force the issue with him, but sometimes he does have to give his own shots. (2 Apr 97)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts