From California, USA:

I have a ten year old son who was diagnosed two years ago. Up until now he has done well with doing his own shots, but lately he has become hesitant about it. He says that it hurts and wants me to do them. I think that he once had a little bleeding after giving himself a shot. It doesn't hurt his leg if I do the shot. I don't want to force the issue with him, but sometimes he does have to give his own shots.

He may have used the same spots too many times, and now they may be tough and painful. You could try a different brand of syringes, or try the Inject-Ease® injection aide. You can give his shots some of the time, but at his age, he should continue to do them at least 3-4 times per week.

Additional Comment by Dr. Lebinger

I find it is not uncommon for children this age to want to stop giving their shots after giving them for a while. Although there can be many reasons, I think often they become afraid as they are getting older that they will not have the help and support of their parents (this kind of temporary regression is not uncommon in many aspects of growing up unrelated to diabetes).

If simple measures like changing sites, syringe type, or using injection aids don't help, you might want to just give the injections yourself for a while and not push it. Often, when the child wants to go to a sleepover party, he will be willing to give the injections again.

I know this is hard sometimes for the parents as someone must always be around at injection times, but many 10 year olds need some supervision anyway, even if they are giving their own injections.

Often kids become more willing to give their injections at summer camps for children with diabetes where giving and receiving injections is somewhat of a "social" activity.

Like other aspects of "growing up", I think you can be fairly certain that soon your child will be able to take on this responsibility again.