From Rhode Island, USA:

My husband is 42 and has had Type 1 diabetes for 37 years. Recently, he changed to Humalog. His sugar levels have been out of control even though he followed the doctor's orders precisely. After three months, he called the doctor and was put back on Humulin brand of semisynthetic human insulin. His sugar level is better, but still not as good as before he changed. Are other diabetics experiencing similar difficulties changing after so many years?

Yes, I have found that many people have had trouble switching to lispro insulin [Humalog®] from Regular. I have found that many patients have had to considerably rearrange their insulin regimen. For many people, the improved control after meals may be offset by increased blood sugars several hours later.

Like any change in insulin regimen, I recommend that your husband work closely with his diabetes team to evaluate the results and make adjustments as necessary.

[Editor's comment: I don't think the problem relates to the duration of the diabetes, but rather to the natural tendency to get stuck in a rut with what we're comfortable doing; change is always difficult and changing insulin programs is no different. WWQ]