From Sunnyvale, California, USA:

My daughter, who will be 16 next week and has had Type 1 diabetes since she was 9, wants to learn to scuba dive so that she can dive with me. Are there any known physiological problems that would or should prevent her from doing so? If not is there any material I could present to a certified instructor so that they too would be aware that there are no problems other than good control?

This question was referred to a reader who recently wrote us about diving, who has kindly given an answer:

The Scuba Diving Industry has loosened up as far as allowing diabetics to participate. I as a PADI Open Water Diving Instructor can now teach classes to diabetics leading to certification. My daughter can now go to professional status if she wants to and become an instructor. Divers Alert Network is presently conducting studies in the Bahamas and starting in August 1997 will take the study to the Cozumel area. Divers participating must be Insulin Dependent. I am trying to round up enough people interested in learning to dive and willing to take a Cozumel trip to participate in study. The certification dives will be free if trip is booked with me. Let's Go Diving.

JS (