From Canada:

In reply to your answer to a recent question about how to control diabetes in a 10-year old, I have some comments. I am 36 years old and have been diagnosed as a "brittle" diabetic. I also experience great fluctuations in my blood sugars and, although my control is not very good (this is certainly not because of a lack of effort), I take pride in the fact that I am doing everything possible to try to control my Type 1 diabetes. I have recently switched to Humalog (Lispro) and have found an improvement. Since the possibility of brittle/labile diabetes seems to have been overlooked in the answer to the earlier question, I felt that I should mention this possibility.

I agree that lispro insulin is a big help for most patients, but I'll also point out that the other efforts you're putting into managing your diabetes plays a large part of your ability to control the blood sugar levels.

Indeed, I have a few patients who've tried lispro, and found that it was more difficult for them to figure out how to control their blood sugars (I think most of these folks were so used to the 1/2 hour between shot and meal that they couldn't adjust to lispro's timing).