From Minnesota, USA:

I am a 28 year old male who had been diagnosed approximately a month ago with Type 1 diabetes. I am a police officer and wondering if stress affect diabetes, long term or short term? I've been hearing a lot about Humalog. Would this be a better insulin if I am rushed at times when I am eating? I take four shots a day in order to keep up with the rotating shifts.

Lispro insulin [Humalog®] is certainly your best bet. Because you're "on the go," this type of insulin allows you to wait a minimal amount of time between taking your shot and eating. This waiting period is essential to good control because it gives insulin the opportunity to clear existing blood glucose. The fact is, most people cannot or simply do not budget in the necessary time.

Humalog's rapid onset of action should control the acute upward swing in after-meal blood sugar levels. Despite its rapid action, your doctor may want to construct a timetable depending on how high your pre-meal blood glucoses are. However, understand that you need to be particularly cautious of hypoglycemia.