Question:

From Maryland, USA:

I am 52 years old with Type 2 diabetes for 8 years. I inject NPH 30 units A.M. (breakfast) and 15 units at bedtime, and I inject Humalog on a sliding scale, 1 unit for 10 grams of carbohydrate. I am 6'2" and weigh between 275 and 285 pounds, and I compete in Power-Lifting. My question is, why does my blood glucose levels go through the ceiling after a hard weight workout? I normally exercise one hour after supper and test blood glucose before I start, and typically it's 150 - 180. By the end of the workout it usually is between 280 and 350. Thirty minutes of aerobics will generally bring it down to 200 or so. The only thing I consume during a workout is water.

Answer:

My only suggestion would be that weight training is a very "stressful" form of exercise and that it may therefore produce a lot of hormones such as adrenaline which tend to push your sugar up.

[Editor's comment: It's not generally taught in the diabetes books that exercise may cause blood sugar levels to go up, but our patients, whether they're Type 1 or Type 2, find it out themselves with home sugar testing.

Traditionally, it's taught that exercise will lower blood sugar levels; however, as Dr. Robertson discusses, if there's not a good enough balance between insulin, exercise, and food, the sugar goes up because of the hormones released during exercise. WWQ]