Question:

From Las Vegas, Nevada, USA:

My 10 year old niece has Type 1 diabetes for 8 months. All efforts to make her to give her own shots had been unsuccessful. Her parents are desperate to have access to the insulin pump. They all live in Colombia, South America. May I buy the pump without having to bring her to this country?

Answer:

It is a mistake to press too hard for a 10 year old to give her own injections after only eight months. Very often this is an expression of a fear of having to be totally responsible for something she does not yet understand. To push too hard for her to give her own injections might be interpreted as an important act of parental rejection, however untrue that might really be. This situation will, almost certainly, solve itself within the next year or two and if it does not you might consider inviting you niece to this country if you know of an experienced medical social worker or clinical psychologist who is experienced with both the problem and the age group.

It would be a great mistake to send out a pump. It's not that pumps can't work in this age group; it's that they need to started off and supervised by a really experienced group of doctors and nurses and I would doubt if these are available.

DO'B