From New York, USA:

I am 24 years old, and I am in my last trimester of pregnancy and just recently took the 1 hour glucose test. My reading was 149. The doctor wants me to take the 3 hour test just to be safe. Could my eating starchy foods have affected the readings on this test, and also is 149 really a high reading? I have no symptoms of gestational diabetes and I feel as if my doctor is making me worry unnecessarily.

The one hour 50 gram Glucola test is a screening test for gestational diabetes but is not by itself diagnostic. You do not have to be fasting to take this test, although your diet prior to the test may have some effect on the results. The threshold for an abnormal result as recommended by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists is 140 mg/dl. Therefore, despite any symptoms, it is worthwhile for you to take the three hour 100 gram Glucola test. To confirm the diagnosis of gestational diabetes, two out of four of the blood sugars values have to be elevated above normal. Given that your result was only slightly elevated, there is a good chance that the three hour test will be normal.