Question:

From Virginia, USA:

I am a 26 year old male, approximately 150 pounds. I was diagnosed with insulin dependent diabetes at the age of three and have been taking injections ever since. I am on a two injection schedule, one when I get up (6 units of R and 8 units of NPH in a 1cc syringe), the second I take approximately 7 to 8 hours later (6 units of Regular and 18 of NPH). I am currently using the B-D Microfine II syringe and Eli Lilly's Humulin.

Recently I have gotten some information regarding the Novopen 1.5 and I am curious as to what it might be like to use it. I have seen a B-D version but not seen one offered in the states. I want to know what the effect might be if I try the 70/30 mixture cartridge and reduce my injection by two or three units? My current lifestyle has made my previous insulin schedule somewhat outdated since I now work nights and sleep during the day. I know that Novo is giving away their pen free with a purchase of the insulin cartridges. If the 70/30 mix is a bad idea, is it possible to get two pens from the company under the same deal? Lastly what would be the possible physiological differences be between the Novolin brand insulin and the Lilly brand Humulin?

Answer:

If you think your present insulin regimen is outdated because of a change in your work schedule, I would strongly suggest that you meet with your physician to work out a better regimen to match your schedule.

Taking a fixed combination of Regular and NPH, like 70/30 insulin, prevents flexibility trying to match your insulin with your food and work schedule, so I doubt using the pen to inject Lilly's 70/30 insulin would be of help to you.

At the present time both the Novo and Lilly cartridges can be used in the Novopen, the B-D pen and the Autopen. All three are available in the USA. There is very little difference if any in the times of action of the corresponding Lilly and Novo insulins, but usually it is recommended not to switch back and forth between brands.

You would have to contact Novo directly to see if you could get two free pens. If you have insurance, you may be able to get one free pen from the company and one paid for by insurance.