Question:

From Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada:

I have a 4 year old son who is diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. He continues to fight his insulin injections. We are looking into needleless syringes. What is your experience with using these needleless syringes on children? Are there a lot of families using this product instead of needles?

Answer:

I would urge that you first talk this over with the diabetes nurse educator, social worker or the clinical psychologist in your son's diabetes team because the needle phobia may have quite a complex basis and also may affect other members of the family and this needs to be taken into consideration as well. I have also known the problem to be put right in one or two sessions by someone who is both experienced and sympathetic.

DO'B

[Editor's comment: Although the jet injectors attract a lot of attention from parents, very few actually purchase and use the devices. Be sure to have your diabetes team give you a chance to "play" with one or two of them before you begin to make any decision to invest in these expensive devices. It also should be noted that devices such as the Inject-Ease® frequently help with needle-shy kids (and adults!). WWQ]