Question:

From Rochester, New York, USA:

For a few years I have had a sudden shortness of breath and have had a need for sugar at the time, when playing sports. The worst case was when I almost fainted and felt cold. Tonight, it happened at work where I had a sudden shortness of breath. I feel very weak when this happens. Is this hypoglycemia? Should I have blood work done? I'm 23. Thank You.

Answer:

Shortness of breath is not a usual feature of hypoglycemia; but faintness and feeling cold can be, especially when they seem to be related to exercise. I think you should certainly see you doctor about this and ask him to get you some test strips and lancets so that you can measure blood sugar during one of these episodes. There are however a number of other possible explanations for what you describe.

DO'B