Question:

From Los Angeles, California, USA:

I got diabetes around a year ago. I had a 700 blood sugar level. I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. I had 3+ ketoacidosis. My mom's friend got me started on Yogic pancreatic exercises and sprouted fenugreek seeds (a type of salad, I think). Around 6 months ago, I stopped taking insulin. I have not needed it ever since. I have been eating larger amounts of sugar since then. I still do not need insulin. My endocrinologist thinks I'm still honeymooning but my alternative doctor says otherwise. Have you had a case like this before and, if so, what do you think?

Answer:

Your story certainly suggests Type 1 Diabetes. This is a disorder of the immune system that ultimately progresses to being dependant on injected insulin. In your case the process has probably been slowly progressing since childhood. Usually the onset is precipitated by some stress, often an infection.

It is quite common when this occurs in young adults to have an extended honeymoon period that can last for several years. You would thus be making a mistake in assuming that either yogic pancreatic exercises or fenugreek will affect the course of this condition, although they may indeed be of subjective support. My advice would be, with the consent of your physician, to continue with small doses of a long acting insulin, not to control blood sugars but because of some evidence that at this stage it will defer vascular complications. This is in fact being studied nationally in a trial called DPT-1.

There is a small possibility that you do not have Type 1 Diabetes; but that you have one of the forms of Maturity Onset Diabetes in the Young particularly one called MODY3. This would be especially likely if you are of Hispanic or African American descent. You should discuss this possibility with your doctor because some of the new oral hypoglycemics may ultimately be of benefit.

DO'B