Question:

From Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA:

My daughter is 9 years old and her albumin levels are high. What are the causes of this problem and what should we do about it?

Answer:

You don't say how long your daughter has had diabetes and I'm going to assume that you are talking about albumin in her urine.

It is highly unlikely that there is any diabetes related problem in a child of 9 but sometimes the amount of albumin (protein) in the urine is temporarily increased at the start of diabetes. This doesn't mean anything. Over many years, a high excretion of protein in the urine can be a marker for early kidney damage and action must be taken to reduce this. Another common cause is urine infection and this should be excluded.