Question:

From Rhode Island, USA:

I am 30 years old and have had Type 1 diabetes for 15 years. I am fairly well controlled (average GHb=6-7range). I am currently managing with a combination of Lispro / Regular / NPH 3-4 times per day as needed. I am also a professional member of ADA & have enjoyed a wealth of information as a result.

My question concerns an unusual series of hypoglycemic reactions about 5 years ago at the age of 25. These episodes were frightening, with memory loss & changes in consciousness. I completed rather complex tasks without ever realizing it. These occurred during a distinct timeframe (spring &&nt changes. Cause never fully explained. Have had many hypoglycemic reactions since but never with these same associated symptoms. I have a younger sister with IDDM of same duration who experienced the same phenomenon, also at the age of 25! Perhaps hormonally related? Ever hear of others?

Again, hypoglycemia for me now can be subtle in terms of symptoms, but was never like that again. It is rather frightening to feel like you are losing your mind, as you can probably imagine.

dare@edgenet.net

Answer:

Your experience and that of your sister with a change in pattern of low blood sugar at the age of 25 is very interesting, but I am at a loss for an explanation.

During the first trimester of pregnancy, many women experience severe low blood sugars without warning, but since you say there was no change in your lifestyle, I assume this was not the cause.

I hope you do not have these severe lows again in the future.