Question:

From Ithaca, New York, USA:

I have been a user of the Novolin pen since about 1985 and found it a wonderful device that allows me considerable independence in managing my own diabetes. I am totally blind and count clicks and have never had a problem. Unfortunately, the pen is wearing out and the clicks are becoming more quiet.

Recently I took advantage of the new Novopen 1.5 offer and was initially pleased with the metal pen's feel and operation. That was until I found that the pen will not necessarily inject the dosage dialed in. If the insulin cartridge is nearing empty, the plunger stops, must be read and then the balance of the dose must be injected with a second shot. Do you have any ideas how a blind person can determine the quantity of the first injection? If not, is it still possible to obtain one of the original plastic pens?

Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Answer:

This is an excellent question and demonstrates that progress isn't always painless. I would have thought that there are bound to be some of the original pens left around clinics, etc., but perhaps the first port of call should be to the local Novo Nordisk rep.