From a college in the USA:

In a nut shell, I've been taking little to minimal insulin amounts so I do not have to eat that much. My blood sugars are not high at all. They are actually in perfect range for me (90 to 159). I have had diabetes for over 14 years now, but for the past 3 years I have been obsessed with weight.

I just got done reading the Diabetes Forecast for this month. The article regarding my situation, I thought, did not help out that many diabetics. They solely focused on the definitions of the disorder. I would of liked to have read more information on eating disorders and diabetics!

The last few years have witnessed a renewed interest in eating disorders in individuals with diabetes, especially in female adolescents. In fact, several studies have suggested that eating disorders, such as anorexia nervosa, hysterical anorexia, and bulimia are more frequent in those people with diabetes (mainly IDDM) than in the rest of the population.

Behaviours typically connected with eating disorders ("stuffings" followed by "purgings") affect blood sugar control and make the treatment and self-management of diabetes very complex. Moreover, these eating disorders are viewed as sort of "psychological discomfort" for adolescents in industrialised society and women are particularly prone to them. It is now becoming more and more common to see young girls in their adolescence with IDDM start stuffing themselves, without any moderation or self-control, with practically any kind of food whatsoever, until they end up vomiting up everything, eventually becoming exhausted, feeling guilty, underrating themselves, all of which is typical of bulimia. It is also possible that they start rejecting food altogether, letting themselves slowly starve in a silent determined challenge typical of individuals with anorexia.

Consequences on diabetes control are straightforward, and individual and/or family psychotherapy is the only way to help these patients. Ask your doctor for help. Other opportunities can also come from patient associations and web sites.