Question:

From Massachusetts, USA:

I have a 21 year old daughter in the last trimester of her first pregnancy. Before she became pregnant, her primary care physician indicated that her blood sugar was high (don't have any numbers) and repeated the test with a one hour one. Her ob/gyn physician is now concerned with elevated numbers (don't have any) and has ordered a three hour test scheduled for Monday. As parents, we are unaware of any immediate family history of this disease. There is a remote possibility that my husband's father's cousin may have the disease. Since we are totally ignorant, we would be most appreciative of receiving information with regard to symptoms that might indicate that the disease is present. We have three other children that we need to be concerned with - one of them being a juvenile.

Answer:

If your daughter had elevated blood sugar values prior to pregnancy, then I am suspicious that she has developed diabetes before she became pregnant. However, without the actual blood glucose values I cannot make an exact diagnosis. She should confirm this with her physician.

Since your daughter's obstetrician is proceeding with a three hour glucose tolerance test it would appear that the diagnosis of diabetes is not confirmed in your daughter. If the three hour test is positive, then your daughter may have developed gestational diabetes. This is a type of diabetes associated only with pregnancy and appears in about 1-2% of pregnant women. It occurs because some of the hormones produced by the placenta during pregnancy block the action of insulin being produced by the mother. When the pregnancy is over the diabetic condition resolves. However, these mothers are at risk for developing diabetes later in life and glucose testing should be repeated after the pregnancy is over.