Question:

From Illinois, USA:

My father, mother, and 2 younger brothers are insulin dependent diabetics. I am not diabetic nor is my husband. We want to start a family. What are the chances of me having a healthy pregnancy and healthy children? Will our children definitely or more likely than not be diabetic?

Answer:

If you are not currently diabetic, then the risk to a pregnancy due to diabetes is very low. The reason I will not say your risk is zero is because every pregnant woman is at a small risk of developing gestational diabetes (about 1-2%) which is a very manageable problem. You have a strong family history of diabetes and therefore you and your offspring may be at increased risk of developing diabetes. If you have not had a formal glucose tolerance test it may be worthwhile doing so.