From Florida, USA:

I am a 31 year old male diagnosed with Type 1 approximately 8 months ago. I recently started counting carbs and using the new Humalog along with Ultralente. My question is how can my blood sugar levels be normal before bedtime and wake up to highs above 220? I am on the "poor mans pump" due to no insurance.

There is really nothing "poor man's pump" about a regimen like yours -- usually called "basal bolus" and one of the commonest insulin regimens for your age.

The first thing that you need to check out before your question can be answered is what your sugar is at about 3-4 A.M. It's quite possible that you are dipping low in the night without being aware of this and rebounding by morning. Try setting your alarm for 2 or 3 nights, checking your blood sugar at that time (and writing it down, so you don't forget it the next day), then discuss the results with your diabetes team.