Question:

From Wisconsin, USA:

I am a 36 year old with diabetes I take insulin and pills. I have been diabetic for 12 years. I don't seem to be able to get myself to take care of myself. I do good for a day then I blow it. Are there other people out there like me? Or am I the only one?

Answer:

I am sorry to hear about your difficulties regarding your diabetes management; I can assure you that it is very common.

Keep in mind that people with diabetes are like all other people, who will vary in our emotions; some may be very rebellious, some may not worry about the future and some may be very good. I think that it is important to realize that as part of a full acceptance of a chronic disease such as diabetes, it is critical to have a positive attitude towards it and towards life. I think it is important you realize how vital is for a diabetic to become independent in the management of his/her illness in order to be able to live together with it and not to be overwhelmed by it. Things are not always go easy, however, as when you are faced with unpredictable high or low blood sugars or even with complications, but you may be willing to try harder to control your blood sugar if you realize that your quality of everyday life is much better when your blood sugar is under control.

Last but not least: is your combination therapy [with pills and insulin] still appropriate for the right control of your diabetes? Ask your diabetes team or your doctor.