From Ohio, USA:

What is the percentage of children in ketoacidosis at the time of diagnosis? I saw somewhere that in Europe that figure is 25%. Do you know if that information is available for the USA?

This question was referred to everyone on the Diabetes Team, and we have several answers:

Answer from Stephanie Schwartz, diabetes nurse specialist:

The number in the USA is probably about 10-15%, but I have no reference at hand. Whatever the number is, it's declining, perhaps due to better diagnosis by the primary care physicians.

Answer from Dr. Robertson:

In Glasgow [Scotland] we regularly run at a DKA rate of about 28% of new patients.

Answer from Dr. Songini:

According to our experience in Europe with EURODIAB ACE - data on DKA will be published shortly, the figures are lower than 25% for real DKA. For more, see Diabetes in Europe, edited by Laure Papoz, John Fueller and Rhys Williams, John Libbey, page 41, 1994.

Answer from Dr. Serrat:

According to Jay Skyler from the University of Miami, the incidence is approximately 10%, (Skyler JS, Marks JB. Immune intervention in Type 1 DM. Diabetes Rev 1993; 1:15-42).