From Ohio, USA:

At the advice of my orthopedic doctor I have been taking Glucosamine Sulfate for the last month. During that time I have noticed that my blood sugars have been considerably lower than normal, which is great. Has there been any research on this? I am 50 years old, insulin dependent for 20 years?

I have never come across the use of glucosamine in diabetes so that all I can contribute is a digest of 31 references in Medline under Glucosamine/diabetes. The only text I could find that might prompt an orthopedist to recommend glucosamine was one (in rats) which showed that n,acetyl-glucosamine inhibited non enzymatic glycosylation of collagen. The rationale would presumably be as a prophylactic against the various forms of fasciitis that diabetics are prone to (see a previous question).

In terms of glucose metabolism, glucosamine inhibits glucokinase and would thus mimic MODY2. There was evidence then that it inhibited the ability of hyperglycemia to suppress glycolysis, that it reduced glucose induced insulin secretion and glycogen synthesis and that it enhanced insulin resistance.

Sorry not to have done any better. I don't think that I'd go for it without Chapter and Verse and of course the apparent lower blood sugars will make it all sound like sour grapes on our part.

[Editor's comment: Of course, if your physician had been treating a painful (and stressful) condition, the relief of the pain might explain the decreased blood sugars you're now seeing, as you'd now be under less stress. WWQ]