Question:

From St. Louis, Missouri, USA:

My daughter is 12 and was diagnosed about 6 months and 9:30 she would call and complain that she was very hot and lethargic. Her blood sugars had been high around 300. She was unable to stay at school and this is day 8 for these symptoms. We have taken her in for a thyroid test.

Do thyroid problems often cause these symptoms of being hot? I did not think that a blood sugar of 300 to 350 would cause a person to become as weak as my daughter appears. Her afternoon and evening readings have been in the low 200s. She seems to feel better in the afternoon but is still very tired. Any ideas on how to approach these symptoms of feeling very hot and tired would really be appreciated.

Answer:

People with an overactive thyroid may sweat a lot and feel hot, but it would be unusual for this to occur only at one time of day. Some children are more sensitive to high blood sugars than others.

If your daughter is consistently running over 300 at 9:30 AM you should discuss with her physician increasing the fast acting insulin before breakfast, perhaps trying lispro insulin [Humalog®] if you have not yet tried it as it works faster than Regular.