Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from May 1997

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Nov 15 | Oct 15 | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. I'm a 37 year old male and was diagnosed with diabetes 6 weeks ago. I am taking insulin and my blood glucose is generally under control. My recent c-peptide was 2.7 when the blood glucose was about 200. Should I be classified as Type 1 or Type 2? (29 May 97)

2. Can you give me some of the typical first signs of diabetes? Several people seem to think my son may have diabetes. (29 May 97)

3. I often hear of non-invasive blood glucose meters, and even sometimes of cures, in the "near future." However, people always seem to neglect to mention when this "near future" is. Can you give me any kind of an estimate on when there will be a non-invasive blood glucose meter on the market in the US or, better yet, a cure? (29 May 97)

4. I'm 25 years old and recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Prior to my diagnosis, I weighed 105 pounds. During the first three months of insulin injections, I gained close to 20 pounds. Is this weight gain normal and is it possible for me to lose about 10 pounds? (29 May 97)

5. I recently met a 41 year old man who has had juvenile diabetes since age 6. I have very strong feelings for this person. How can I interact positively with him? I do want to pity him or try to "help" him. (29 May 97)

6. My daughter, 11 years old, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 5 months ago. It is possible to get diabetes because she had too many sweets when she was younger? (29 May 97)

7. I run a diabetes society in Auckland, New Zealand and I need to find out where I can yet a book or information on young babies with insulin dependent diabetes. This information would be extremely useful for our information folder in our centre and for our library. (29 May 97)

8. In light of the growing evidence that antioxidants may inhibit the formation of advanced glycosylation endproducts, our eight year-old daughter has been taking 100 IU's of vitamin E and 250 mg of vitamin C per day. What would be prudent for a child of her age? (26 May 97)

9. I have a 10 year old nephew who has Type 1 diabetes. I have just heard that juvenile diabetes is caused by a virus. Is this possible? (26 May 97)

10. Our son is 14 years old and has been a Type 1 diabetic for the last four and a half years. We are struggling with a very strong dawn phenomenon. Our doctor is at a loss as to how to help us. (26 May 97)

11. What does it mean when they say that your diabetes is out of control? Does it mean that a person has a very short time to live? (26 May 97)

12. What medicine can I give to a diabetic who has a cold and is coughing? I want to give cough medicines but they say don't give to diabetics. (26 May 97)

13. Do you know when will Lispro (Humalog) be available in Slovenia? (25 May 97)

14. My husband, age 33, was diagnosed 7 months ago as a typical Type 2 diabetic. Our doctor moved so he went to a new one who now is telling him that he is a Type 1. We are very confused now that two doctors say the exact opposite of each other. (25 May 97)

15. Can you explain the relationship (if any) between morning ketones and middle-of-the-night hypoglycemia? (25 May 97)

16. What is meant by "Somogyi reaction," and does it really happen? (25 May 97)

17. I am 28 years old, have been diabetic for 25 years. I tend to over-medicate myself and have frequent hypoglycemia. Now that my husband and I are considering planning a family, I am interested in knowing the effects of low glucose levels on a fetus. (25 May 97)

18. I am a 41 year old woman who was diagnosed with Type 2 about a year and a half ago. After one year on pills, it was determined that I had to go on insulin about 6 months ago. How does a person on insulin lose weight? By adjusting my diet any more, I literally wouldn't be eating much of anything. (25 May 97)

19. I have a seven year old son with autism. Recent lab results show glucose as high at 129. Ketones 1+. No Glucose in urine. These results seem to me to point in the direction of Diabetes Mellitus; doctor tells me all results are normal though not within range. Should I have more tests? (25 May 97)

20. My step-son was recently diagnosed with juvenile diabetes. He is 17 years old and seems otherwise healthy. My husband would like to know what kind of lifestyle changes he can expect and what will his quality of life be. (25 May 97)

21. My 12 year old daughter was diagnosed nearly three years ago. Just recently she has had trouble in the morning. Are growth hormones 'active' in the morning thus making her body resistant to the insulin? (25 May 97)

22. I am 16, female, and have had Type 1 diabetes since I was 5. I am very concerned about my weight. I consider myself 15 or 20 pounds overweight. I gained 10 pounds last July when I began use of the pump. I have a lot of trouble losing weight and would appreciate suggestions to diet plans. (25 May 97)

23. Do you think that mixing Humalog and Regular in the same syringe is a good idea? (21 May 97)

24. I'm a 16 year old diabetic on the insulin pump. My numbers run very good (75-155) most of the time. About a week or two before I start my period my blood sugars run crazy. I am wondering if it would help if I went on birth control pills to help regulate my period. Would this help my blood sugars at all? (21 May 97)

25. What is the ratio for converting sugar recipes to sugar substitute recipes? (21 May 97)

26. My son, age two, has been diagnosed with diabetes after being incredibly thirsty for two weeks. He has been put on insulin twice a day and on the third day of his course he is at home and has started to become quite ill. Is there any chance he could be allergic to insulin? (21 May 97)

27. I am a 47 year old diabetic, with a 140 sugar level, however, I feel a tingling feeling in my hands. I would appreciate it if you could tell me the reason for this feeling, and a possible cure for it. (21 May 97)

28. My four year old with Type 1 Diabetes has vomited two times for no apparent reason. She complains a lot about her stomach aching and I wonder if either low blood sugar or too high blood sugar can cause this. (21 May 97)

29. I am 15 years old and I would like to dive in the summer. Is there any danger? Do I really need a doctor's certificate? Who has any experiences with this sport? (21 May 97)

30. I was wondering if there is a maximum recommended daily amount of sorbitol for children, either with diabetes or without. (21 May 97)

31. My son is currently on Purified Pork NPH and R insulin. I would like some information about mixing Pork NPH with the new Humalog insulin. I cannot seen to find any studies that were done using pork insulin. (21 May 97)

32. My son is controlled well with Regular and NPH. We were counseled by our new doctor about changing to Ultralente and Humalog. With this change my son has had some severe low blood sugar reactions in the early mornings. Do you think we are having problems because we are still using regular and not Humalog? (21 May 97)

33. My 10 year-old daughter has recently been diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. She has had 2-3 years of quite frequent unexplained periodic epigastric pains, typically lasting hours. Do you think that this could have been due to some form of mild pancreatitis and is this a recognized phenomenon of the prodrome of Type 1 diabetes? (21 May 97)

34. I am 32 years old and have had Type 1 diabetes for 18 years. My wife and I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter. Whenever she concentrates on fine motor skills, she is experiencing shakiness in her hands. Tonight I did a blood test on her and the reading was 55. Should I bring her in for further tests? (18 May 97)

35. I have a 12-year-old African American son who is Type 1. Are there any studies that address his age and or his ethnic origin? He is gifted athletically and we have trouble with overnight lows because of his high level of physical activity. Do you have any information or suggestions? (18 May 97)

36. Our son is 14 years old and has been a Type 1 diabetic for the last four and a half years. We are struggling with a very strong dawn phenomenon. Our doctor is at a loss as to how to help us. (18 May 97)

37. My son, 15 years old, races off road mountain bikes. I need nutrition help. We need to figure out when he should eat before a race and what he should eat. (18 May 97)

38. My daughter has 7 year old. She has had Type 1 diabetes for almost a year. At first, she was a good control of her diabetes. But, beginning about six months ago, she has had bad regulation of her diabetes. We're trying to control this, but is very difficult to get it. Please, can you help us with this? (14 May 97)

39. I have a 4 year old daughter whose relatives on both sides of the family have diabetes. I am concerned about her constant urination and her cheeks always look rosy. She has a big appetite, and she's thirsty often. Do I have reasons to be concern? (14 May 97)

40. I had gestational diabetes with both my pregnancies. Our 2 year-old son has been showing mild symptoms of diabetes, i.e., a mild urninary tract infection, increased thirst, etc. The doctor recommended that I do a fasting reading. It was 114. What is the procedure for determining if a child has diabetes? (14 May 97)

41. What concerns would a physical educator have when dealing with an individual that has been diagnosed with diabetes? Are there any activities that the individual should avoid? (14 May 97)

42. I am a consultant pharmacist. One of my patient's parents has stated she heard about a scientific study supporting the use of cinnamon ingested orally to reduce blood glucose levels. I have been unable to find any documentation to support this claim. Do your resources address this issue? (10 May 97)

43. I have a 12 year old nephew with diabetes, Type 1, which he has had from age 5. He is always hungry and if he eats a little too much his sugar level rises to up to 20 mmol/l [360 mg/dl]. How can this be controlled? (10 May 97)

44. My daughter came down with IDDM one year ago at age 16. She had received a MMR [mumps, measles, and rubella] booster shot about 11 months before coming down with IDDM. Could the MMR vaccination have caused the destruction of the islet cells in her pancreas, resulting in IDDM? (10 May 97)

45. Today I woke up with a blood sugar of 184. I decided to test for ketones. They were large. I called my doctor who told me to give myself extra insulin. I did this and within 45 minutes to one hour my ketones were negative. What would have made them go from large and then back down to negative if my blood sugar wasn't high? (10 May 97)

46. I was looking to see if I could find out how to convert a BG monitor reading from the UK system to that of the US. (10 May 97)

47. My 13-month old daughter has been experiencing 2 A.M. lows, around 45-55. She usually wakes up just before, and we give her milk or juice and she goes back to sleep and wakes up at normal levels in the morning. Is it possible that these lows are causing some form of brain damage? (9 May 97)

48. I am with a group of students (one of whom is Type 1 diabetic) going on a trip. We've been assured that we will get some sickness because of the foreign environment. What advice would you give to the members of the team as to how best look after this team member with diabetes? (9 May 97)

49. Our recently diagnosed 8 year old loves apple juice. We have searched for an apple drink sweetened with Nutrasweet and can't find one. Any suggestions? (9 May 97)

50. In regards to your suggestion of reusing syringes and lancets, I would suggest that you consider the infections that reuse may cause. I firmly believe that this is an incomplete recommendation, especially when directed at diabetics who may have an increased risk of infection. (8 May 97)

51. I was wondering if aspartame causes cancer. I've heard a lot about it, but I don't know what is really true. I would also like to know how likely it is that I will get cancer. (8 May 97)

52. My daughter is 9 years old and was diagnosed with Type 1 a year and a half ago. Lately her sugars have been going up and down quite drastically. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to when it goes up so I don't feel confident changing the insulin. Could this be a thyroid problem or puberty at this early age? (8 May 97)

53. My six year old son was diagnosed with diabetes about 18 months ago. Is there any correlation between the age at onset of diabetes and the likelihood of complications later in life? In other words, since he was diagnosed early, are his chances of diabetes-related complications greater than if he did not contract diabetes until later in his life? (8 May 97)

54. I was diagnosed with Type 1 when I was 10. Up until I was 13, I took care of myself. I am now 16, and I'm really sick of doing the day-to-day routine. I want to start doing my blood sugars again. I would like to know what I can do to start taking better care of myself, (so I feel like doing my sugars) and taking my injections. (8 May 97)

55. I am a 16 year old diabetic who went on the insulin pump about 6 weeks ago. Next week my friends want me to go down with them to camp out on the beach and take a surfing class. My mom is very hesitant since I just got the pump. Will it be too hard to manage everything? How will I disconnect to go in the water? (8 May 97)

56. Are there any difficulties or reasons why a person with Type 1 Diabetes should not wear contact lenses? (7 May 97)

57. I am 29 and for the past couple of years I am constantly thirsty. I am also fatigued and have blurry vision, dry mouth dry skin, I get lightheaded before and right after meals. I have had 2 children and I was tested for Gestational diabetes with both; it was negative. Do you think I should be tested again? (7 May 97)

58. I live on the island of Trinidad in the Caribbean, and my daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes on the day of her first birthday. We have no other patient this young in Trinidad. Can you put me on to some parents or organisations that we can talk to who have experience with 1-year old Type 1 diabetics? (7 May 97)

59. I have an 8 year old daughter who has been diabetic since she was 1 year old. She is considering a sleep away camp for this summer (non-diabetic) and I am concerned about how the camp will manage her diabetes care. (7 May 97)

60. Is a jet injector better than using a needle? My son is 15 and has had diabetes for 7 years. Does a jet injector leave bruises like the needles do? (6 May 97)

61. My daughter was diagnosed four months ago at age 15 months. A urinary tract infection triggered the diabetes. Her sugars were high for a short time and since have been mostly normal. Her doctor is suggesting a morning dose of Ultralente. We've been hoping she doesn't really have diabetes. (6 May 97)

62. I understand that there are now home collection kits available for HbA1C blood glucose test. Where can we obtain these kits and what is the literature on them? (6 May 97)

63. I have a 12 year old daughter who was diagnosed three years ago. We have tried to get her to take the responsibility of doing and recording blood tests but she refuses to even deal with being diabetic. She refuses to do blood tests, is always forgetting her snacks and refuses to stick to the diet she is supposed to have. What can I do? (6 May 97)

64. My nineteen year old daughter was recently diagnosed with hypoglycemia. Could you please explain what this is and why it never has appeared in any blood test before? (6 May 97)

65. I think I have an eating disorder, as I have not taken insulin for 18 months, because I don't want to get fat and because I hate being reminded that I have diabetes. I know this is extremely dangerous, but I can't seem to face injecting myself. I am a 21 year old, female who has had Diabetes for almost 2 years. Do you know of any service that could help me? (6 May 97)

66. We had just started counting carbs and I'm a bit confused. When it comes to meats, how do I figure the carbs, since meats don't really have any? (6 May 97)

67. My daughter has been using Humalog and Lente by Lilly. Our HMO wants to change her to Humalog and Lente by Novolin. My pharmacist insists that Humalog must be used with Humulin L. Do you know of any reason why the insulins from different companies could not be mixed? (6 May 97)

68. My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed one month ago with Type 1 diabetes. Just recently, the left calf part of her leg only started swelling and she complained it hurt to walk and was tender to touch. She has seen an orthopedic doctor who is baffled and so is her pediatrician. (3 May 97)

69. My 3 year old diabetic son seems to sweat excessively from the time he goes to bed for a period of about 1 hour. His pillow always has a big wet spot from sweat. Is this an indication of anything, like his sugar levels are too high? (3 May 97)

70. Our son is 5 years old and has been diagnosed with Type 1 for 2 years. His latest HbAlC is 6.9. While we are somewhat pleased with the value, he is nevertheless rather difficult to regulate (erratic glucose levels). Compounding the difficulty are the few occasions on which he has had insulin reactions. (3 May 97)

71. I am a 45 year old diabetic with IDDM for 15 years. I travel constantly and eat irregular fast food meals. I sometimes have wine at dinner. Can you help me with my meal planning around "fast foods" because my schedule and travel commitments will not allow me to have "home cooked meals?" (3 May 97)

72. I work with a 15 year old male, diagnosed at age 4 with Type 1 diabetes. What mental health issues are most commonly encountered in relation to the disease, and what resources are available to assist a Mental Health professional with this type of client? (3 May 97)

73. I recently read about a new gene discovery which regenerates islet cells. Eli Lilly announced it on April 10, 1997. Why hasn't this gotten more publicity? Do you think it is a cure? (3 May 97)

74. My 13 year old daughter was diagnosed 3 months ago and is apparently in the honeymoon phase. She tries to hover around blood glucose levels of 90 or less, often dipping to the 50's before lunch. I was concerned to read a recent question about research that associates hypoglycemia with cognitive deficits. (3 May 97)

75. I am a 64 year old male that was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes when I was 62. I also entered a research program to test for Insulin Antibodies. I tested positive. Now that I am 64, the glucose level in my body slowly keeps rising. Do you believe the increase in the glucose level is due to the Insulin Antibodies? (3 May 97)

76. My daughter has been in a research study using Lispro insulin. She had two reactions this week, one very serious -- comatose for over an hour in hospital, the second not so serious, but hospital visit required. We will probably step out of the study tomorrow. (3 May 97)

77. What are the psychological effects of unregulated sugars? The most I have found so far is edgy and irritable when low and lethargic when high. (3 May 97)

78. How can I find out the way to get fatter? Many times I've read about people with weight problems but I've never read anything at all about those who, like me, want to increase their weight. Eating more seem to be the logical way but, what about doing more sports or increasing my insulin doses? (3 May 97)

79. Can you could furnish me with a simple list of foods that I can eat and the ones I can't eat? (3 May 97)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts