From Salt Lake City, Utah, USA:

I am a 64 year old male that was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes when I was 62. My glucose level was only slightly elevated and I have been able to control the glucose with diet and exercise. When I was 62 I also entered a research program to test for Insulin Antibodies. I tested positive, but because I have been able to control the disease with diet and exercise nothing was ever done about the antibodies. Now that I am 64, the glucose level in my body slowly keeps rising.

Do you believe the increase in the glucose level is due to the Insulin Antibodies and if so what should I do about it? If I started to take insulin would not the antibodies negate that effect?

How very interesting! You may be at risk of becoming a curiosity, let me explain. Type 2 Diabetes, which would be the normal diagnosis in a 62 year old, is a disorder of insulin resistance, which can usually be controlled by diet and exercise or oral medication. Occasionally insulin supplementation is required. Type 1 Diabetes is a disorder of the immune system, and it is in these cases that antibodies are found. Insulin is almost always needed. So far, however, the oldest cases of Type 1 Diabetes have been in their early forties.

I think that the first step is to ask your doctor to check with the laboratory that carried out the antibody assay and have them repeat it. It is always possible that there has been a laboratory error and if necessary you should arrange to submit another sample. However if the presence of antibodies is indeed confirmed then you will need insulin to overcome the rising blood sugars; but the presence of anti-insulin antibodies should not significantly affect the action of any injected insulin.