Question:

From Kansas, USA:

I have a 12 year old daughter who was diagnosed as diabetic (Type 1) three years ago. We have tried to get her to take the responsibility of doing and recording blood tests but she refuses to even deal with being diabetic. She refuses to do blood tests, is always forgetting her snacks and refuses to stick to the diet she is supposed to have. She will sneak food or eat food that she should not have when we her parents are not around. She expects me, her mom, to do everything for her so we are always in a power struggle but she knows that I can't let her go because of the seriousness of this condition. What can I do?

Answer:

Your plight is a common one; I hope that this at least makes you feel a little better. Your daughter doesn't want to be reminded constantly that she's not the same as her friends who don't have to think about what they eat and don't have to stick needles into themselves. Your diabetes team will be well versed in helping both of you to cope and may have access to a psychologist who could offer important support.

The good news is that for the majority of children and teenagers this is a phase and she will almost certainly settle down within a year or two. The main thing in the meantime is to ensure that she takes her insulin and attends clinic.