Question:

From Trinidad:

I live on the island of Trinidad in the Caribbean, and my daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes on the day of her first birthday. She is the youngest patient ever diagnosed in our country, and as of today, we have still not identified her insulin regime. She has fluctuated in glucose levels from 45 to 588 over the past few days, on a once per day dose of 6/4 units of insulin (long acting/short acting I believe).

She was admitted in a state of severe ketoacidosis, but has bounced back remarkably well since then and is playing, walking, eating, etc, quite normal now.

The trouble is that we have no other patient this young in Trinidad to compare with. Can you put me on to some parents or organisations that we can talk to who have experience with 1-year old Type 1 diabetics?

As you can appreciate, my wife and I are very anxious to hear from you.

Answer:

This question was referred to several members of the Diabetes Team, who have each given an answer:

Answer from Dr. O'Brien:

I remember that there was quite a good diabetes unit at the University of the West Indies hospital in Kingston, Jamaica; but that was a few years ago and that, of course, is not Trinidad.

DO'B

Answer from Jeff Hitchcock, parent of a child with diabetes:

I recommend visiting the Parents Chat Room. It's usually busy in the evenings (Eastern US Time -- GMT -5). You'll find other parents of kids with diabetes who will be happy to help. You might also try the CWD Forums and Family Support Network.

JSH

[Editors' comment: Here's a classic situation where people with diabetes can use the Internet to meet others, and learn more, than would have been possible without the 'net.

I'd add two other comments: first, to check Global Diabetes Organizations for nearby organizations that would know of other resources, and second, to call the nearest Medical School, and talk with the diabetes educators who work for their Department of Medicine or Division of Endocrinology. WWQ]

Updated January 16, 2006