Question:

From North Carolina, USA:

I am 29 and for the past couple of years I am constantly thirsty. I am also fatigued and have blurry vision, dry mouth dry skin, I get lightheaded before and right after meals, but I have not had any weight loss (I weigh 120 pounds). I have had 2 children in the last 2 years and I was tested for Gestational diabetes with both; it was negative. Do you think I should be tested again?

Also, my 2 year old daughter recently started with a new baby sitter and she was concerned with the amount she drank 9-10 (8 oz) glasses of juice, milk or water a day. She weighs 30 pounds, and eats okay; she always has lots of energy. The babysitter has mentioned getting her tested for diabetes several times, do you think this is necessary and are there any other signs I could look for in a 2 year old?

Answer:

You should see a doctor about yourself but I wouldn't be concerned about your daughter because lots of children drink a lot. Nonetheless, once the idea has been planted in your head then the simplest thing is to have her urine checked for sugar.