From California, USA:

I am a 16 year old diabetic who went on the insulin pump about 6 weeks ago. Next week is our school's spring break and a bunch of my friends want me to go down with them to camp out on the beach and take a surfing class. My mom is very hesitant since I just got the pump. Will it be too hard to manage everything? How will I disconnect to go in the water? Any suggestions would be great!

• Don't go. (LAST choice of all of these!)
  • Call your pump nurse and ask him/her.
  • Call your pump manufacturer and ask them.
  • Look on the Minimed website and see if they've added anything recently that would be of help to you.
  • Contact the International Diabetic Athletes Association.
  • Plan to disconnect everything before the outing, and use NPH and lispro to cover the time frame. (This would be my preference, but the details will take a bit of work to figure out, and I'd not want to try this on only one week's notice, unless you can get through to your diabetes team today and get their input on how to do it.)
  • In any case, plan to bring your meter and check zillions of blood sugars!
  • Go to the CWD Forums and compare notes with other pumpers in the Insulin Pumps section.

Updated January 16, 2006