Question:

I was wondering if aspartame causes cancer. I've heard a lot about it, but I don't know what is really true. I would also like to know how likely it is that I will get cancer.

Answer:

Very recently there has been some new debate about whether aspartame products could cause tumors. However, there is no clear evidence of an association between aspartame and tumors whatsoever from animal studies or epidemiological data. Aspartame is neither a mutagen nor a carcinogen and its use is not associated with adverse effects. The safety of aspartame has been confirmed by peer review by expert scientists from FAO/WHO.

This is not surprising since aspartame is metabolised in the gut to small amounts of common dietary components including the amino acids aspartic acid and phenylalanine. These components are consumed in much greater amounts from common foods such as milk, meats, fruits, and vegetables. At the recommended daily doses, aspartame provides only a small percentage of the usual dietary requirement of aspartic acid and phenylalanine with a negligible caloric intake.