Question:

From Lexington, Kentucky, USA:

Our recently diagnosed 8 year old loves apple juice. We have searched for an apple drink sweetened with Nutrasweet and can't find one. Any suggestions? We called Kool-Aid and they said that they had stopped manufacturing such an item.

Answer:

I talked to our nutritionists and looked in one of the reference manuals; but could not find an artificially sweetened apple drink, sorry! A half cup of apple juice contains about 15 grams of carbohydrate, about the same as a slice of bread; but you still have to limit the amount of exchanges because, apart from vitamin C, apple juice contains little in the way of other nutrients. (There have in fact been instances of significant malnutrition from overconsumption of apple juice.)

Not very helpful I'm afraid!

DO'B