I'm a 16 year old Type 1 diabetic who is on the insulin pump. My numbers have been running high (180's-300) the past few days. This is very unusual for me as I normally run very good numbers (80-160).

Today I woke up with a blood sugar of 184. I felt very sick to my stomach and didn't want breakfast so at first I only took my supplement for that number (1.2u) and not my base. I started feeling better so I took my base (1.5). I ate a small breakfast (1 starch, 1 fruit) and decided to test for ketones because I still felt weird. They were large. I called my doctor who told me to do a new setup and then give myself extra insulin to cover the setup and ketones. I did this and within 45 minutes to one hour my ketones were negative. What would have made them go from large and then back down to negative if my blood sugar wasn't high?

Independent of the blood sugar, insulin administration will stop the production of ketones.

If your blood sugar was only 184 and you were spilling ketones in the morning, you should make sure your blood sugar wasn't low during the night while you were sleeping. I suggest you try to set your alarm clock and check your blood sugar a few times during the night (perhaps at 2 A.M. or 4 A.M.). If your blood sugar is low at that time, you may need to discuss with your physician lowering the nighttime basal dose.