Question:

From Tennessee, USA:

I am 29 years old, and have had gestational diabetes with both my pregnancies. Our 2 year-old son has been showing mild symptoms of diabetes, i.e., a mild urninary tract infection, increased thirst, tiredness, eye irritation (rubs his eyes), moodiness, craving sweets, etc. Just enough that I have wondered if I should check him, at home, for a high fasting reading. Due to the urinary tract infection, and the high-incidence of diabetes in our family (not just myself, but my ancestors had the disease), the doctor recommended that I do a fasting reading. It was 114. This was while he was still on antibiotics. I realize being sick will elevate the reading, although I don't know how much it will be affected by his sickness.

I know absolutely nothing about treating a young child with diabetes. Where do I begin? Do I need a specialist, or can the pediatrician take care of him? I've had such a difficult time in getting any answers for myself in regard to my own diagnosis of diabetes, that I don't know where to turn. I refuse to carry my child to 10 different doctors and get 10 different answers, like I've had to go through. It seems every doctor has a different opinion of what a normal fasting reading is. So, what is a normal fasting reading for a child - when he is well? Is it 70 to 120? He doesn't eat much, should I check him two hours after he eats? What is the procedure for determining if a child has diabetes?

Answer:

Normal fasting blood sugars in our laboratory vary from about 70 to 110 mg/dl, so on this basis I do not think that your two year old has diabetes; but if your family history makes you especially concerned you could talk to his paediatrician about more elaborate tests. You might at the same time ask what is meant by a 'mild urinary tract infection' because in boys a definite urinary tract infection sometimes warrants further investigation.

DO'B