Question:

From Phoenix, Arizona, USA:

I have a 4 year old daughter whose relatives on both sides of the family have diabetes. I am concerned about her constant urination and her cheeks always look rosy. She has a big appetite, and she's thirsty often. Do I have reasons to be concern?

Answer:

I suggest you call the doctor as soon as possible to take her in to be checked for diabetes. Anyone, young or old, who is urinating a lot and drinking a lot should be checked for diabetes. Symptoms can come on very suddenly in a young child and can lead to a dangerous condition called diabetic ketoacidosis if the child is not treated with insulin.

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.