Question:

From America OnLine:

In an earlier answer you said "Mixing the two insulins in the same syringe is another thought altogether."

Do you think that mixing Humalog and Regular in the same syringe is a good idea? The Regular does not peak for 2-3 hours (in me) and the Humalog is gone in several hours (in me).

I and another diabetic have not had good luck mixing the two insulins in the same syringe but don't know why.

Answer:

Although mixing lispro insulin [Humalog®] and Regular in the same syringe has not yet officially been approved by Eli Lilly, there have been a few studies published using this combination successfully. In my experience, there has not been a problem mixing these two insulins.

I have found, however, that many patients cannot just decrease their Regular dose and substitute the same amount of Humalog. I suspect this is because their Regular is lasting 6 to 16 hours and not the 4 to 6 hours that it is supposed to. In this case, readjustment of all the insulins during the day may be necessary.