From Sioux City, Iowa, USA:

I am 16, female, and have had Type 1 diabetes since I was 5. I am very concerned about my weight. I consider myself 15 or 20 pounds overweight. I gained 10 pounds last July when I began use of the pump. I have a lot of trouble losing weight and would appreciate suggestions to diet plans. Here is some information on me: I exercise all the time (1-4 hours/day), have some trouble with nibbling, eat approximately 2000 calories/day, do not eat a high fat diet (very rarely above 45 grams), weight 150 pounds. Help me!

P.S.: My pump works great! If anyone has questions about it or Humalog insulin I'd love to help. I have a lot of knowledge and experience that you/someone may find useful.

There are a couple of pieces of information you forgot to mention, the first being your height and the second being the type of exercise you engage in. I need to know your height to be able to figure out your Ideal Body Weight.

You state that you eat approximately 2000 calories a day. Have you ever really closely kept track of all you have eaten for three days (2 days during the week, 1 day on the weekend)? This is called a dietary recall. The reason why I am asking you this is because, if you are taking in 2000 calories a day in addition to exercising 1 to 4 hours a day, you really should be losing weight, not gaining.

There are four parts to the Exercise Prescription for Weight Control:

1. The first part if the Type of Activity you need to engage in. There are two types of activity (Aerobic and Anaerobic) Aerobic activity involves the use of large muscle groups, it is rhythmical and continuous in nature. Anaerobic activity is stop and go in nature. The best types of activity for weight control are aerobic in nature. Examples of aerobic activity would be; (brisk walking, jogging, bike riding, swimming, etc).

2. The second part of the exercise prescription is Frequency: How many days of the week do I need to engage in aerobic activity? For weight control 5 to 6 days a week to maximize calories expended.

3. The third part of the exercise prescription is Intensity: How hard do I need to work out each session? Again, for weight control low to moderate intensity. You should be sweating and working somewhat hard to hard, however, you should be able to carry on a conversation with the person who is next to you without being out of breath.

4. The fourth part of the exercise prescription is Duration: How much time do I need to spend on the aerobic activity each session? Again, for weight control 45 to 60 minutes a session to maximize calories expended.

Now that I have given you some guidelines for exercise and weight loss, you may want to follow through with the dietary recall and speak with a nutritionist in your area to make sure you really are taking in 2000 calories a day. You may be taking in more calories than you think. I am pleased to here that you are doing well with your fat intake. One final point to leave with you: remember, it is not just the fat calories that are the culprit in weight gain, it is the total calories consumed each day.

Additional Comment from Dr. Lebinger:

If you continue to gain weight, I would recommend you speak to you doctor about trying to lower your insulin dose a little. If your blood sugars go too high on a slightly lower dose, you may need to adjust your diet or exercise to lower the blood sugars.

TGL Original posting 25 May 97