From Jacksonville, Florida, USA:

My step-son was recently diagnosed with juvenile diabetes. He is 17 years old and seems otherwise healthy. My husband would like to know what kind of lifestyle changes he can expect and what will his quality of life be. We don't even know the difference between the two types. We have limited communications with the mother, so we are in the dark. Any information would be appreciated. Also my husband wanted to know if you know if it's brought on by any thing specific. Thank you.

I can't answer your questions in detail because they cover most of diabetes. However, I can reassure you that well controlled diabetes should not overly interfere with your step-son's life. There's no point in saying that it is normal to have to take shots and test blood sugars, but once this is routine then he should be able to participate in all the things he did before. The major potential change may be in career aspirations because there are certain professions, such as the armed forces, that are closed to people with diabetes. If this is a concern then you should seek local advice soon. You will find a lot more information to answer your other questions within the pages of Children with Diabetes.