Question:

From Ontario, Canada:

I am a 41 year old woman who was diagnosed with Type 2 about a year and a half ago. After one year on pills, it was detera year and a half ago. After one year on pills, it was determined that I had to go on insulin about 6 months ago. They are unsure if I am an NIDDM or a slow-onset Type 1 because of the extreme reaction I had on very small doses of insulin. An antibody test was inconclusive, so they have nicknamed me a "1 1/2."

About 4 months ago, I requested to go on an intense program using lispro insulin [Humalog®] along with Humulin N, due to a very spontaneous lifestyle with our 3 kids. Since starting insulin I have regained about 20 pounds that I didn't need, although I am truly very careful of what I eat. My knowledge of my food plan is very extensive as is my ability to adjust dosage, etc. My question is this: How does a person on insulin lose weight? By adjusting my diet any more, I literally wouldn't be eating much of anything.

For example, I eat 1 starch, 1 fruit & 1 milk for breakfast.
Lunch is 2 starches, 1 protein, 1 milk.
Dinner is 2 starch, 4 protein, 2 milk
Snack before bed is usually a non-fat yogurt or fruit.

I don't know what else to do without starving, and I will not withhold insulin, which believe it or not was suggested to me by another IDDM! Any help would be appreciated.

Answer:

On first principles it is apparent that you are, as you say, on the borderline of requiring insulin therapy. If you are as careful about your diet, etc., as you say then I expect that your blood sugar control is now excellent. Have you talked to your diabetes team about another trial off insulin? Also, talk to your dietitian about reducing your fat intake - although the diet you quote doesn't contain much.